family photo

family photo

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentines Day

So another Valentines day has come and gone.  When I was in school I loved Valentines day and getting cards and finding out if there might have been a hidden meaning in one of the cards I received.  Oh how exciting!!!  Once we had kids I started to take a new perspective on it.  In an effort to protect our children's hearts we encourage them not to date or have boy friends or girl friends, but how do you avoid this when the big love holiday comes around.  I was so encouraged when I read a children's book about St. Valentine.  The book told of how St. Valentine was a Christian with a strong desire to share how God so "Loved" the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believes on him will not perish but have everlasting life.  (John 3:16)  He was imprisoned for his faith.  While in his cell St Valentine continued to send letters of Gods love to others so they would be encouraged and find a personal relationship with him.  He was later executed for his faith.  What an amazing story.  Valentine's Day isn't about finding a quick superficial crush but it is about finding God.  For God is Love and no greater love has any one than to lay down their life for a friend.  (John 15:13)  So I fell in Love with the holiday.  We made it a family day long celebration.  A time of celebrating God's love for us and our love for each other.  The holiday is what you make it.  I remember that God demonstrated his own love for us that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us (Romans 5:8).  I am also celebrating the love my husband and I share and the love that we have for our children.  God is so good and we are so grateful for all he has done for us and given us.

So as for our day we begin with pink chocolate chip heart shaped pancakes for breakfast.  Lunch I love to share with friends and make a variety of heart shaped pizza.  We were so blessed to have the Duenas and Argons.  With all of our children there were 17 and 2 were not able to make it.  Lots of fun.  We love getting together with them all and sharing time with people we love and trust.  The kids love to share cards, time with their friends, games and crafts.  Come dinner time we have chicken cour don blue (the frozen kind, let's not get too carried away) baked potatoes, green beans, strawberries, and bread.  We decorate our table and use our china.  We eat at candle light and enjoy each others company.  It was so beautiful but I forgot to take a picture.  Then we had bread pudding.  I have tweeked a recipe to make it the way I like it and I think I'll share it with you at the end.  I hope you had a wonderful Valentines Day.  God Bless Alicia

Cassandra ready for breakfast before anyone else
I love to braid the girls hair in heart shapes
Our dear friends that got to join us for lunch
Cassie always ready for a picture
Caleb riding around
the older boys hanging out
dessert time
Lots of kids enjoying dessert
here it is the bread pudding
Alicia's Bread Pudding
1 jar apples (see below)                                           1 cup heavy cream or evap. milk
1 1/2 loaves french bread cut in 1 inch pieces            1 cup white sugar
3 cups milk                                                               3/4 cup brown sugar
3 eggs slightly beaten                                                 2 Tblsp molasses
1/2 cup butter melted                                                 1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp cinnamon                                                          1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
Place bread in 9 x 12 in baking dish.  mix in apples.  In large bowl, combine the milk eggs, butter, cinnamon, vanilla, heavy cream, sugar, br. sugar, molasses, lemon juice and salt.   Mix well.  Add 1/2 cup liquid from apples.  Pour over bread.  Let sit until bread has soaked up all the milk mixture for at least 1 to 2 hours. 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Place baking dish in another larger pan and add water about halfway up the sides of the baking dish.  Bake for 1 hour or until bread pudding has set.  Remove bread pudding from oven and let cool to just warm
Sauce:
Melt 1/2 cup butter on medium.  Add 1/2 cup apples syrup, 1/2 cup sugar and 2 egg yolk.  Heat till slightly thicken.  Pour over top of each serving.  Enjoy

I can my own apples but when I run out I just cut up some apples (about 3), place in boiling water 1 1/2 cups, 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon mixture.  Let is simmer till almost soft. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Love hearing from you.