family photo

family photo

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Vacation Trip Part 6-NYC Central Park & a Show

For our final full day in New York, I thought we would have a relaxing day in Central Park.  I envisioned us strolling through the park, maybe even taking a bike ride, ahhh.  We watched the weather foretell of heavy rain all week, so I knew that vision might not happen, but I held on to hope.

Tuesday Morning we woke up to a very wet morning.  We were surprised we didn't hear a the rain during the night but it had rained while we slept.  Much to our delight it was clearing up and Central Park was a go.  We walked from our hotel to Central Park and began our adventure.  The bikes were there, but some man from another agency was trying to get us to come get his bikes.  We thought we would walk for a bit and think about it.  As we walked into the park we saw a sign that said no bike riding, you had to walk your bikes inside Central Park.  There was a path that circled around the park for bikes but I wanted to experience the middle of Central Park, and experience we did.

Central Park is 2 1/2 miles long by 1/2 mile wide.  That didn't sound that bad.  After all, I try to walk 4 miles for my morning exercise, which gives me about 8,500 steps.  Central Park would be 5 miles if you walk to one end and back, but remember I wanted to experience it.  The walking paths are not straight and we did experience.  We saw volleyball courts, baseball fields, The Swiss Cabin, Shakespeare Garden, a Castle, bridges, canoes, many ponds and a reservoir.  We watched kids playing soccer, squirrels and chipmunks running about, birds squawking, a carousel singing, a zoo, a botanical garden, and a literary row honoring various authors etc... We experienced Central park.  I loved it.  As we were getting close to the end I checked my step counter on my phone and we had over 28,000 steps.  I am not sure how many miles we walked, but it was more then 5.







Such a beautiful bridge

I loved the lamp posts

The Swiss Cabin

The "Castle" 

Literary Ally
part of the Botanical Garden


Just a few pictures of the park.  It was great.  Now let's go to dinner and a movie.

I found that it is quite a bit cheeper to get tickets to a show when you get to New York.  I really wasn't too concerned about availability.  So after our stroll through the park, I went to get us tickets.  At Time Square you can get tickets the day of the show up to half off.  They have agents there explaining it to you and one that I talked to said you can actually get them at the theater.  I walked to the theater of Fiddler on the Roof, asked for tickets and the lady told me the cheapest tickets were $140.  I explained I had been told at Times Square $80.  She inputted a different number in her computer and we got amazing seats for only $75.  The show was absolutely wonderful.  We had a great time.  They are ending the shows run December 31.  I am very glad it was still going while we were there.  It made for the icing on the cake of our last night in New York City.
Outside the theater

The next morning we were able to sleep in and take a final walk around before heading to the airport. We had a 4:00 flight but were told JFK airport was a nightmare and to go early.  At noon we got a cab that took us to the airport, about a 40 minute drive, he had told us the drive was about an hour but he made good time.  It cost $56 for the cab and then a tip.  We were able to step right up to the check in desk and were ready for our flight by just after 1:00.  I was a little bummed, we probably didn't need to leave so early, but it is better to be early then late.  We had a small terminal, so I don't know if all of JFK was like that, but I was truly disappointed.  There really wasn't much to do.  Some airports have amazing shopping (London, Orland, Minniappolis, Seattle, Salt Lake) and other things to do.  The terminal we were in at JFK had very little to do, and the shopping was sad.  I was very glad I had finished all my shopping before getting there.  It was alright though, I got to catch up with Latisha, David got some work done, and before you knew it we were headed home to those we love.
our cab
We enjoy traveling together and feel very blessed to be able to take such wonderful trips.  I love seeing different cultures and lifestyles.  So many people and all created in the image of God, a God that loves and created each one.  Such a busy place New York was, but we really had a great time.  I can't express my gratitude to my daughters, mother and mother in law for making this all happen.  We came home to a clean house, even the yard was done.  How blessed we are to live where we live and how very blessed to have such a wonderful family.  God Bless, have a great day.
Alicia

3 comments:

  1. So happy you guys were able to take this trip! I know it has always been dream of yours. thanks for for all the pictures and stories :)
    Latisha Walter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Thank you so much for all your help. The kids had a great time!

      Delete
  2. Love to see your pictures & read about your trip!!! FUN!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Love hearing from you.