family photo

family photo

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Vacation Trip Part 3-New York City

Saturday morning we got up and going to head on the next leg of our journey.  I loved watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as a child and that is probably where my desire to go to New York City came from.  We had planned a trip 15 years ago but cancelled it because of 911.  So Saturday morning I was ready to go.  We made a quick stop at Dunkin Donuts. I don't know if I have ever been to Dunkin Donuts but now I have.  I tried to make it healthy by adding an egg and a juice, but I am not sure if that counts.


We had planned this trip ourselves without using a travel agent.  I was unsure how to get where but we were pretty sure we would take the train into New York City.  Neither of us really had a desire to drive into the city, so we thought that would be the easiest way.  I just couldn't figure out how to get from the car rental, to the train, to the hotel.  The car rental place suggested just keeping the car for the day and driving on into NYC.  It is only a few miles down the road, which takes a few hours, so we decided to brave it out.  This time we put the address in the GPS and included a route without toll roads.  The road basically ran along side the toll road but had lots of stops, so it may have taken a bit longer.

We have seen some of the episodes of Cake Boss, so when I googled the address I found it was on our way.  Why not, yep we made a stop at Carlo's Bakery and got ourselves a couple treats.  We even got to see one of Buddy's sisters, that was fun.  I asked for a public restroom, but they did not have one and directed us to Starbucks.  So "when in Rome," yep I grabbed a Frappuccino.

ok, so now we have totally blown our diet, but we did share.
As we were driving I got so excited when I saw the tall building in view. The GPS took us to the Lincoln Tunnel (that costs $15), and under the water we went.  As we came out of the tunnel we saw the very busy city streets ahead. Oh! what had we done.  There were sirens, and cars galore.  David asked me to help him keep an eye out, but I didn't know where to begin.  As we drove into the city we saw another Carlo's bakery and another Starbucks (which are basically on every corner).  It was wild but I was so proud of David's driving.  We stopped at our hotel which they told us just to pull our car in front of the building but not to leave it unattended.  So I stayed in the car while David checked us in and dropped off our luggage.  Then we headed to drop off the car.  What a relief it was to hand over those keys and walk back to our home for the next four days.

This is our hotel, where the taxi is, is where we "parked"
the street looks calm, but that was rare 
We took a leisurely walk to our hotel and took in some sights, including Time's Square. Time's Square is not "g" rated, especially at night.  We saw a lady who apparently considered painting her body to count for clothing, I did not.  I was a little surprised that was legal.  Other then that Time's square was very busy and exciting.  We found a cute little Vietnamese restaurant (with extremely good food) across the street from our hotel, grabbed a to go, and settled into our apartment.  I loved looking out our window and we prepared for our next day of adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Love hearing from you.