family photo

family photo

Monday, June 29, 2015

Weeds and Gardens

 I have planted my garden and I am now spending time taking out the weeds so the little plants can grow into big healthy plants that produce and feed our family.  The weeds are never totally under control but if I keep up with things, they are manageable.  I used to sprinkle grass clippings on my garden to keep down the weeds.  The kids complained how it smelled.  So for the past few years I have just fought the battle of the weeds.  Really, the smell was only temporary but the weeding was dramatically decreased.  Since I stopped putting the clippings on the garden I have spent hours, and hours out there weeding.  This year I have started back with the grass clippings and wow what a difference my weeding time is.  The grass clippings smother most of those nasty little weeds and I have more time to enjoy my family and maybe even write a little blog post.

To me this is how the word of God (Bible) and prayer is in our life.  If we can spend a little time every day spreading the word of God in our hearts and seek God first then we can smoother the weeds that try to root and grow in our life.   It is important to do the same with our children.  We make decisions daily on what and who they can spend their time with.  Trying our best to smother the weeds we see taking root and growing in their lives and protecting them so that they can grow into the person God has desired them to be.

I have found that certain plants have weeds that grow next to them that sometimes resemble them. It can be hard to tell the difference between the plant and the weed at first.  That is similar to us.  Unfortunately some of the special characteristics that God has created in us have weeds that look like our characteristics.  If we continue to allow these similar in appearance weeds to grow next to us they will smoother and kill our Christian walk and testimony. An example would be someone who is aggressive and has no problem speaking the "truth", can justify their actions of rudeness by saying that God created them this way, when in actuality God created them to speak boldly His truth to those who are in desperate need.  The weed in that person's life would be to go about wounding and distancing those around them, boldly speaking the way they see things and not using wisdom.  Someone who is quiet and meek can hide themselves in a lifestyle that has no contact with others and withdraw into their own home, forsaking time with other Christians like the one in the above example who offends them and this quite and meek person can decide that God no longer cares about them.  The opposite is true, God gave them that quite spirit to reach those the loud aggressive person could never reach.

We were all created for God's good purpose.  If a person feels they were created in a way that is actually sin according to Gods holy word, then they are deceived and have allowed the weed that looks similar to them, to grow next to them and choke out the plan that God actually created for them.  God had a purpose for that individual to use their temperament for his Glory not for evil to abound.  Let's us not forget the other enemy of our lives/gardens, those pesky bugs who come to destroy.  People can be bugs in our lives that encourage us in sin and away from God's truth.  God have mercy on our nation and help us to call sin - sin and good - good.  God did not create you for sin but for his glory.  I wish people would stop using the excuse that God created me this way to justify sin.  We were not created to live in the sinful nature but in the Spirit.  Galatians 5:16-26 says:

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,[a] fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,[b] drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

And here is the important part...

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who areChrist’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

As Christians we must read the word of the Lord and follow God's leading in our life so that we know right from wrong.  If Jesus is your Lord, don't you want to follow his instructions.  After all God has saved us from sin not so we can continue there but that we might grow and flourish in the life he has planned for us.   From the time of Adam and Eve sin has been passed down.  We all have inherited this trait.  Your sin temptations may be different from mine but through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ we are all overcomes.  Sin is sin, no matter how big or small and without the covering of Jesus Christ through faith we are all on the wrong road.  I know the sinful traps in my life and I must work hard at pulling them out, but when I immerse myself in the Word of God (Bible), and seek God through prayer, then the traps in my life don't have a chance.  I have a dear friend who I find great encouragement.  I have told her at different times struggles in my life and she always directs me back to how she finds things so much better when she spends time in daily Bible reading and in prayer.  This truly helps.  So may I encourage you, seek the Lord with all your heart, talk to him daily, and read your Bible.  It is so important that we know what we are saying when we claim to be Christians (Christ Like), it means to be a follower of Christ and there is no other better person to be.  Have a blessed day.

Alicia

Wanted to add a little photo of our little love
Watching my garden grow
and grow
and grow

2 comments:

  1. The garden is awesome! We've always been big gardeners, but not this year... :( Makes me miss ours! I love the words you share! Personality is not an excuse for sin. It takes wisdom & lots of Jesus to overcome our own selves & to be a light for Christ. I pray these words were hidden in my heart. I am encouraged just to read them! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Love hearing from you.