family photo

family photo

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Our First Grand Baby "August"

How exciting and wonderful it is to be grandparents. This new little life that resembles our own babies but also resembles his daddy's family, is so amazing.  God is so good.  I am the Grandma, so I will give the grandma version of the delivery.

Latisha had taken Isabella to therapy Tuesday, so we got to spend some of the day with her.  There comes a time in a pregnancy when you can look at someone and know the delivery will be soon.  She was doing good but it looked like it was about time to have a baby.  That night I left my phone by my bed.  I had put it on vibrate and David did not hear it when at 4:45 am it began to vibrate.  I heard it and I believe my heart skipped a couple beats as I quickly grabbed it to see it was Brent.  He said that there was only one reason he would be calling me at this time in the morning.  I was so excited.  My brain was trying to search for the questions I knew I should be asking but I was having a hard time focusing.  I finally got out that Latisha's water had broke at 1:45, she had waited about 45 minutes to wake Brent, then she labored at home for a bit and now they were at the hospital with contractions every 3 minutes.  I said I would be right there and ran into "go" mode.  I was planning on throwing on clothes and heading to the car with a pony tail but David came in very sleepily and began shaving.  "You're shaving," I said, "I think we need to leave."  I decided to do a very quick hair do and was ready before he was.  I asked him to please finish getting ready in the car and I would drive.  Ok, I might have been a little anxious.

When we got to the hospital, I wanted to run in but David kept me under control.  Yes, I was very excited.  I felt I had not asked the right questions to Brent and every story of speedy deliveries, and screaming women was going through my head.  We went to the delivery floor of the hospital where I explained my daughter Latisha was in there.  The lady looked at her computer and asked me again what her name was.  I said it again, but I kept saying her maiden name.  David corrected me and the nurse explained to me how very important it was that I and everyone after me use the right name.

Finally, I got to go see my daughter who was in pain but very in control.  Between contractions she chatted but then when the contraction came she would grab the side of her bed and occasionally say "owie."  I totally could feel what she was going through.  Brent did a great job and remained very calm.  The doctor had to find a sitter and then was driving during rush hour.  We were pretty sure Latisha was fully dialated but the nurses said they would wait until the doctor got there to check.  After a while the doctor arrived. Sure enough, she was ready and it was time to deliver a baby.  I was the camera person and got to video tape.  The nurse went through a very long speech to Brent about how he needed to breath and if he felt any tingling to sit down.  Apparently it is very common for husbands to faint.  As she was standing next to Brent, Latisha would hold her breath to push and Brent might have held his breath too.  The nurse kept reminding him to breath, I laughed and told her apparently I was doing the same thing.

Then to all of our delight little August Nathaniel came into this world at 8:59 am.  Soooo wonderfully and fearfully made.  What a blessing.  Latisha held her little gift for a while.  The doctor had guessed he was 7 to 7 1/2 pounds, but now she said he was probably 7 or less.  I said he was 6 pounds 8 ounces.  They placed him on the scale and sure enough he was 6 pounds 8 ounces.  The doctor was impressed with my ability.  :)  The kids all came in and spent a few minutes seeing their new nephew, then we took them home to give the new parents time alone with their baby.

We are very excited with this new little guy and would be over there every day but we are being patient and looking forward to each moment we get to snuggle this little blessing.  He is wonderful. Mama, Daddy and baby are doing wonderful and are very happy.  Well, that is my side of the story.  I hope you enjoy the pictures.  I'm sure there will be more to come.  Have a great day and God bless.

Alicia
Labor

daddy and his boy

Mama and her baby

Me with my grand baby

Lovin baby 

The happy family

New grandpa

Happy Auntie...

and another happy auntie...

and another happy auntie

Aidric really was thrilled and didn't want to stop holding August


My, Daughter, Grand baby and me.

Our happy group

Glowing mama.

6 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord!! She went all natural? Good job latisha!!! He's so handsome and very loved. Enjoy and keep the photos coming!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is good. She did get some medication after a while. After which she progressed very quickly and had the baby. He is so loved. We just got to spend part of the day with them today and he doesn't seem to mind being passed around and the noise we bring. :)

      Delete
  2. Such a wonderful story! You have a beautiful family!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting!!! The pictures are beautiful! Latisha looks great too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Love hearing from you.