family photo

family photo

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Be Bold Be Strong

Isabella getting the hang of walking and loves to clap for herself


Good morning one and all.  What a lovely morning and a good summer we have been having.  Isabella has finally decided it is time to walk.  She seems to do things at her own pace.  It has been a good time to learn patience for me.  I would try to work with her but truly she had no desire to walk.  The last couple months she finally showed an interest in walking.  The kids and I would get her to walk between us and she would look at us like "why are you making me do this."  Then she finally started to crawl to things and pull herself up.  I was so excited and tried to let her do things on her own.  It is so sad to watch a child fail.  She would pull herself up then slip half way and fall hitting her head.  I would comfort her and try to help her.  I want to protect her all the time and keep her from hurting herself, but it seems the more I let her do herself the more progress she makes.  She finally got to the point where she could pull herself up and hold on to things then try to take a step and fall over and hurt herself again.  She hated it.  She would pull herself up and stand there all happy then didn't know how to get down.  What I saw was fear would grip her and she would begin to cry out for help.  She didn't know what to do, her legs were tired and she needed to sit, but was scared of the fall so would just cry.  I thought about how she was scared to try because she was afraid to fail or at least afraid of the consequence that failure would bring.  That is so like me.  I have a hard time starting new things for fear.  "What ifs" surround me and I choose to do nothing.  But I am thankful that God will stir my heart to keep trying and sometimes I fail and have to get back up but sometimes there is success.  My goal is that if I walk like God wants me too I will not fail and he will show me how to get down or move forward as he leads.
the infamous scuba diving

Several years ago David and I took a trip to Mexico.  We were at a resort that taught scuba lessons.  I have always thought it would be fun to scuba with all the wonderful fish.  Knowing that I have a hard enough time snorkeling should have been my first clue that this was not going to be easy but I thought how hard can this be.  So we took the free lessons in a nice shallow pool and it was so fun.  I didn't mind the tank and when I got nervous I just stood up.  After about a half hour of our pool swim I told David "lets do it."  So we signed the release and they took us out in a boat.  Then they told us to put on our gear and then we were to flip out of the boat backwards to finish our "certification."  David promptly did it but fear began to grip me like never before.  I couldn't do it.  They finally got impatient and pushed me out.  This didn't help.  We were next to the boat and they told us to let the air out of our vest and we would sink.  David did this and off he went.  I couldn't seem to get myself to push the button, so the instructor did it for me.  I promptly filled it back up and floated to the top.  When I went under the water all I could see was black and I was very scared.  After several minutes of a slight discussion between the instructor and myself, I begged him to let me back in the boat.  I was so disappointed in myself.  I sat in the boat thinking what is wrong with me?  Is David disappointed in me?  Why couldn't I do it?  I just waisted a bunch of money, (no they did not refund me).  There was a girl in the boat with me from Germany.  I was so embarrassed.  But she encouraged me not to worry about it, at least I tried.  She didn't even try.  She sat in the boat while her husband was scuba diving and really felt no remorse.  Maybe someday I will try again.  Next time I would prefer to start on the shore and work my way out at my own pace, but at least I tried.  I failed but I tried.  Another day maybe.  But let me encourage you to try.  You never know what you can do until you try and take a step.  Cry out to God and he will be your help.  Hebrews 13:6 says "So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me."  "For God hath not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love and of a sound mind."   2 Timothy 1:7  Philippians 4:6-7 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  Be bold, be strong for the Lord your God is with you.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Love hearing from you.