family photo

family photo

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Beginner Drivers Beware

ok, I'm trying to convince myself and encourage you that it is spring

Unfortunately my poor little tulips are huddled up trying to keep warm and not convincing me.  Yesterday they were big and beautiful.

But look at my beautiful peach tree.  I only planted it last year but I am an optimist and would be so amazed if some of those blossoms turned into fruit.

The unknown tree.  Hopefully it will produce this year. 
Well, off we go again.  Getting our driving time in.  It is such an exciting time for parent and child but can also be quite scary.  There is this an almost nauseating feeling that hits me as my children take off for the first time in the car.  The first time I hand over the keys and they jump in our family Yukon reality hits and a little fear for our lives hit both of us.  The Yukon is a rather large vehicle and quite intimidating to someone who has been learning to drive in a Ford Fusion.  I try not to grasp the door too hard as they drive down the White line for fear of hitting the oncoming traffic.  I've had to reassure both Alex and Latisha that they can scoot over a bit and they wont hit oncoming traffic but if they don't we are all going off the edge of the road.

About a month ago Latisha finished driver's ed and got her driving permit.  She is now in the process of getting her 50 hours driving in so she can have her driver's license.  We've been moving quite along in hours and she is feeling a bit like a chauffeur.  She is getting quite good at driving the Yukon and even comfortable with it.  I know this is not every teenagers dream car but I appreciate her taking charge and she looks quite confident.  Unfortunately, she is learning about very rude drivers.  I am amazed at how obnoxious drivers can be but it seems more intensified as I sit in the passengers seat.  Yesterday as we were driving Latisha needed to get in the other lane.  She turned her blinker on, slowed down to let the car ahead of her go, in hopes of getting in behind him and the car behind him sped up as not to let her in.  I told her that was ok, maybe he didn't see her blinker but the car behind that did the same thing.  I was getting seriously annoyed.  I told her to start to move over and see if the car would slow down but nope.  The funny thing was the first car that we tried to get behind had to turned, slowed way down and we were able to go in front of him and the two other cars that wouldn't let us in.  Vengeance is mine says the Lord.  :)  Later we were on the interstate very close to rush hour.  Latisha was following the car in front of her at a safe distance.  The car in front of her was going at a easy pace and apparently the rest of the drivers were in a race as they slipped in and out of lanes in front of and around us.  I was getting nervous, but there sat Latisha totally unaffected driving down the road making comments here and there about the traffic but just cruising down the street.  I feel bad for beginner drivers who get to encounter the uncourteous drivers and see first hand how self centered the world we live in can be. 

But off we go looking forward to the drivers test.  Hopefully someone else can take her.  I do not appreciate tests and got to sit in the back seat while Alex took his.  I seriously prayed almost the whole time.  I was so nervous for him.  I was almost shaking and had a heavy sick feeling.  I'm so glad Alex had no idea.  The man who did the test was a rather large intimidating man, but in the end very nice and passed Alex.   Then I got to take my nephew to the same man and ride in the back for yet another shaking, sick feeling and constant prayer ride.  My nephew asked me to just do whatever I did for Alex and I guess I did.  He passed and neither have had a car accident.  Lord protect our new drivers and those around them. 

Oh I must share a funny.  At night when I put Cassie to bed I read her a story, we pray, then sing Jesus Loves me and Hallelujah.  Lately she has really enjoyed the singing and will even join me.  Last night after prayer I began to sing Jesus Loves Me and she said no mom not that one.  But I went on and finished it and then sang Hallelujah.  She let out a heavy sigh and said "there you go mom that is the song Hallewuya."  Have a great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Love hearing from you.