family photo

family photo

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Another Year Older

The other day I went to get a trim on my hair.  The lady did her usual shock at the number of kids I have and then big shock at how old my oldest child is.  Then came the question "How old are you?"  I told her I just had a birthday and am now 41.  "That is older then me," she gasped.  "I sure hope I look as good as you when I am your age?"  What does that mean?  I'm sure that was meant as a compliment but at "my age" one doesn't like to hear it.  :)  Just thought that was funny.

I did have a very nice birthday.  It is always such a blessing to me with my family.  We had my parents, my sister and her family, my in laws, and my son's friend.  I got clothes, money and even a chair reupholstered.  My children got me a new pair of slippers.  I am very hard on slippers and was thrilled with the new ones.  The ones I got for Christmas had already worn out (thanks in part to our new puppy) and the new slippers are great.  Fondue is my birthday dinner, here are some pictures and recipes.  Latisha made a wonderful checker board cake orange and chocolate flavors.  Very fun.  Enjoy.  Thank you Lord for a new year.

fondue

Cassandra helped me open presents

My lovely cake

Latisha made sure to put the right number of candles.  So we had a slight fire.

But I was able to get them all out in one breath

The inside of the cake.  Soooo good.
Choco-Scotch Mallow Fondue
1 14 oz can sweetened Condensed milk
6 oz butterscotch pieces
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 7 oz jar marshmallow cream
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
Combine ingredients in crockpot.  Heat through on low to melt chocolate and butterscotch.  Stir thoroughly.  Add more milk if fondue becomes too thick.  (We doubled it of our party)  We dip cut up fruit (bananas, apples, oranges, and strawberries.)


Apricot Cream Fondue
1 30 oz can unpeeled apricot halves, drained
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tblsp cornstarch
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 Tblsp lemon juice
Blend apricots in blender until smooth.  In fondue cooker (crockpot) combine sugar and corn starch.  Stir in puree apricots, cream, and lemon juice.  Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.   We dip cut up fruit.

Shrimp and Cheese Fondue
1 can cream of shrimp (if we can't find it we just use cheddar cheese soup and small can tiny shrimp)
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
garlic salt and onion powder to taste.
Heat to melt and dip cut up french bread.  This is another one we double.  

6 comments:

  1. Looks like yall had a good time! The food looks great:-)



    With love,
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special time. You are blessed indeed. :) I agree with your hair lady....you do not look 41!!!!! You are youthful for sure. It is BECAUSE you have 6 kiddos. They keep you young!!! :)

    I will email you soon.

    Love,Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica, it also helps that I have friends like you. I am blessed indeed. Talk to you soon. :)

      Delete
  3. AAAaaaaaa!!!! I can't believe I forgot your birthday....some friend I am. I would love to take you to lunch. Glad you had a wonderful time. Happy belated birthday. Amy...yes, I commented! I couldn't figure out my "profile", so I just said anonymous....I'm so computer illiterate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. You know I would love to. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Love hearing from you.