family photo

family photo

Monday, August 29, 2011

Student Orientation

Off we go.  Official parents of a college student.  This weekend was orientation at the University my son is going to.  It was so special.  I think I have taken for granted the big deal this is all around the country as parents take their children, the blessings entrusted to them by God, to a school and drop them off to be indoctrinated by that school.  I went to the first day with Alex.  I was all cheery and wondering if it were necessary for me to be there.  I looked around and saw anxious parents with concern, apprehension and excitement for their beloved offspring.  I was so thankful that I am not dropping my son off somewhere as I watched the parents letting go and saying good bye.  Our transition is relatively easy compared to these other families.  I too am filled with apprehension after 18 years of training and homeschooling my child, doing our best to raise our child in the paths of righteousness, it is hard to let go and entrust them to the teaching of another.  But isn't this what we are to do when we feel that this is the path God has for them.  Letting go is hard for me, how much more emotional it is for the parents that are dropping their seed off.  Have we prepared them for the path ahead?  Are they going to have hurts, disappointments, and trials ahead that we can't protect them from?  And most importantly will they stand for God no matter what they see or hear?  Our job as parents isn't over it is changing.  I pray all the harder.

At the church service at the University they had a "Cords of Covenant Litany."  What that was, was a written dialogue between the students, family and friends, and the University.  The students read and stated how they were seeking meaning and purpose and academic, spiritual, and social growth.  The parents spoke of entrusting the school with those they have been entrusted with and asking the school to model Christ for their child.  Then the faculty and staff responded with a covenant to be a community of faith and learning... committing to equip the students to be God's creative and redemptive agents in the world.  Sobs were heard across the auditorium as this was read and reality was hitting home.  I am so blessed by this statement and pray that this is truly the heart of this University.  After the service there was a bbq for the students and families and then many goodbyes were said and more tears shed. 

I remember my family leaving my brother at college many years ago.  It was so sad to say goodbye to my brother and I tried my best not to cry.  As we drove off and left my brother there was much silence in our car and I could no longer hold back my tears.  What a turning of the page.  I pray that the page we are now turning is for God's glory and am thankful we still have our son here with us and no good byes are being said. 

I read a quote the other day of a professor at a secular university who said he could care less all the years of training parents have given their children, now that they are at his school it is his turn to untrain all their parents have taught.  How scary.  My prayer is that God will bless and protect all our children and students that head off to pursue a degree they believe God wants them to seek.  May we as parents not hand them off blindly but continue to seek God on their behalf and may our children be so close to their Savior that they will not be turned from their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. 

God bless.  Have a great day.
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Love hearing from you.