family photo

family photo

Monday, August 5, 2013

Family Reunions

A few years ago I was at the library when a security man approached me.  "Alicia?"  he asked.  I quickly looked around to count my kids and make sure one hadn't left with an unchecked out book.  "Yes," I said hesitantly.  He smiled, "Married to David, right?"he asked tentatively.   "Yes,"  I answered.  "It's Nic,"  he said.  I had no clue who he was so I just smile and racked my brain.  "Your cousin,"  he said.  I could have fainted right there.  I didn't recognize him at all.  He didn't look like the teenager I had last seen several years earlier who was named Nicolas.  But it was him.  I stared at him in disbelief as he explained he lived in the same area as we did and worked here.  Several of my cousins live in the same valley as we do but generally the only time I see them is at a family reunion.

As a kid I remember our family reunions as being such a big deal.  Going to see how much everyone had grown and who had been born the past year was so exciting.  My grandparents on my dad's side had seven kids.  One of my uncles never married but the rest did and had kids.  There are now 24 of us grandkids, 65 greats, and this year the first great great was born.  I know this because I just got home from my family reunion.  We didn't make it last year so I was so excited to see everyone this year.  I must say I was a bit disappointed.  Every year our reunions seem to get smaller and smaller even though there are more being born.  It is hard for everyone to make it and it just gets neglected.  Each year one of the seven siblings plans a reunion, the same date, but they choose the place.  Generally we camp, but that is hard for some people. So, the day reunions where most of the family lives is the best attended.  I personally love to camp with everyone.  My grandpa's family has had a day reunion for years in Missouri and I believe it is still on the same weekend and same place but their numbers are dwindling also.  My mothers family has had several reunions spaced several years a part.  They hold them at a local park or at a camp.  I think my favorite is at a camp.  At the camp you pay a small fee per person and you can still bring your RV but those who don't have RV's stay in the cabins and the camp cooks and cleans all our food.

David's father's side of the family has a reunion about every three years.  When his grandpa was alive he planned them and they were all over the western part of the country.  This was so fun because we got to go to some place different.  When Grandpa passed away the reunions did also until one of David's cousins took charge and is working so hard to plan the next reunion.

I really think it must be less stressful for everyone if the reunion is just at a camp.  Of course this can be financially challenging so day camps every few years are nice also.  I have been to reunions that have lots of games and activities, pictures, matching t-shirts and all other kinds of creativity, but this is such a burden on those planning it that they get overstressed.  Maybe taking a family cruise would be the easiest, all that is planned and the meals are provided.  The most important thing is that we get to reconnect with one another.  We see family that we haven't seen for a while so when we pass them in the library we recognize them.  We find out the struggles and success all are having and just be together.  David and I have discussed what we will do in a few years.  Will we just have our own reunion?   For now we'll make to the ones we can and enjoy the time we have together.  Here are some pictures from our weekend.  What kind of family reunions do you like?  Enjoy and God bless.

Alicia

Grandma with six of her seven kids

Small turn out but happy to see those who made it. 

Grandma with 4 of her 7 new offspring born this past year

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Love hearing from you.