family photo

family photo

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Memories and Yummies

Have you ever had one of those moments, where out of the blue, you have a lovely memory float through your head, and a happy feeling flutter through your chest?  Growing up I didn't get to spend a lot nights at my Grandparents house, but I enjoyed the times I did.  I loved the morning feel and smell of their house.  I don't know how to describe it perfectly, but it was a mixture of their nice clean home, with everything in its place, and coffee brewing.  (Good to the last drop)  So, why did I have a scent of it float through my not always nice clean home, with not much in it's place, and rarely a coffee smell around? I'm not sure, but I did. I was just walking down the hall and had that feeling.  A little flutter hit my chest and I was reminiscent of my grandparents house.  I thought I even smelled "their" coffee.  It brought up several memories.  I am blessed to have 3 of my 4 Grandparents (ages 88 and above) still living on their own and although they live in other cities I appreciate their influence in my life. So, I just took a brief moment and said a prayer for them and let the good feeling stick around.  

A couple of my grand memories show themselves this time of year.  One of those is the one that I have experienced for the past 22 years. I remember when the weather changes and the leaves turn colors, the feelings I experienced when I found out we were having our first baby.  Wow! It was so very exciting.  I didn't even mind the morning sickness (not that I enjoyed it, but I didn't mind), knowing there was life in my womb living and growing, was so exciting.  And something about this time of year brings back those feelings.

The other memory is candy corn.  Yes, that lovely little candy that appears at the grocery stores this time of year.  I remember my mom commenting when I was a child, on how much she liked candy corn.  She taught us to eat it one color at a time, and the other day I watched her demonstrate it to my kiddos.  It sure does make the candy last longer and you get to enjoy every sweet taste.   I was very interested in the variety of candy corn I found at the grocery store the other day and had to try out a few.  We got the regular, caramel, and pumpkin spice candy corn.  Quite wonderful.  Normally I make sugar cookies and we decorate them with the candy corn, but I had an idea this year to put a little twist on it.

While I was at an amazingly creative woman's house the other day, she served mini cupcakes with fudge filling.  Her daughter explained how easy they are to make and I have tried them several times since.  This time the kids and I had a great time making them up with a autumn twist.  You can make many variation on this treat.  It is easy, fun and the kids can help and make something very cute.

  Choose any cake mix and fill mini cupcake pans 2/3 full.  Bake according to package.  When they come out of the oven, melt a package or chocolate, white, or butterscotch chips with a can of sweetened condensed milk on medium heat in a sauce pan.  Press the middle of the cupcakes to form an indent (I found a plastic spoon works the best). Place a spoonful of fudge in the middle.  Ice with the icing of your choice.  We topped them with the different candy corn, then chill the cupcakes and eat.  They are very yummy.

I was thinking of all the different varieties of cup cakes you could make.  The kids were able to make them on their own and they had a great time.  For these cupcakes we used yellow cake mix, Chocolate chips for the fudge filling, and butter cream icing.  When I was at Jody's house she had white cake mix, white chocolate chips for the fudge, white icing with spring looking sprinkles, and lovely cupcake wrapper.

Well, hope you are all well and blessed.  Thank you for allowing me to share some memories and a fun recipe.  Have a wonderful day. God Bless, Alicia

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Love hearing from you.