family photo

family photo

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Family Friendly

Good morning.  I hope this day finds you all well and happy.  I had a great recharge weekend.   Our church had a ladies retreat in a lovely mountain setting.  The Word and worship was great and I enjoyed time with women.  The camp we went to was one I have gone to many times.  The first time being when I was a camper, probably around 10 years old.  I was reliving past moments and looking for familiar spots.  Saturday I took a peaceful walk.  It had been snowing off and on and I asked a couple ladies if they would like to go with me, they looked at me as if I were crazy.  So, off I went by myself all bundled up and found animal prints, the forest coming back to life in spite of the falling snow, and fun obstacle course that had been modified from when I was there as a child.  I came back feeling all wonderful and shared my findings with a couple other women who decided to go with me and check it out.  We also spent time at the lake and it was so peaceful.  I wish I had pictures to show.  It was nice.

Last week we had a joint birthday party for Sierra and Danika.  The local Wahoo's had a new bowling alley.  Being a "family fun center."  David and I thought it would be a great idea to take the kids there for a party with friends.  Ok, so you should always check things out before you go places but I assumed it would be fine.  I must say I was a bit taken back when I got there.  Oh, it was so loud, which is normal for kids places, but there were big screen tv's all around, show casing things I do not find family friendly.  They had a food bar with televisions showing this fighting wrestling thing that was not family friendly.  This is not a sports bar.  Then in front of the girls as they bowled were huge screens playing music videos.  I voiced my concern to another mom, we thought, well the girls won't pay attention.  But as I looked they were all standing there mouths open, staring at what was being flashed in front of them.  What they were showing was not g rating.  They were women flaunting their bodies, guys dressed creepily and other ungodly things that saddened me.  I felt bad that I had taken the girls there and sad that a place claiming to be family fun was not family friendly.  While on our cruise we noticed all these Disney tv shows aimed at children that made fun of the family unit and focused on selfishness and boy/girl relationships.  We don't have cable and watch very little tv and I was reminded why.  "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death,"  Proverbs 14:12.  I could go on for a long time on my soap box of what is wrong with our society but that is not what I will do today.  Today I just want to send out a warning to parents, check things out before you trust what is meant by family friendly.  We are told to protect our children and raise them in the fear of the Lord.   We came back to our home and the girls had a wonderful time but next time I will be more cautious of what is meant by the misused idea of family fun.  I pray the girls were not scarred and maybe if enough of us voice our opinion family fun places will truly be family safe.

God bless have a great day.

Alicia




1 comment:

  1. It sounds like it was a wonderful retreat! Thank you for sharing about it and the photos! Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Love hearing from you.